- Department / Function IT
- Location Cardiff City Centre
- Number of roles available 1
- Salary Competitive salary plus benefits and bonus
- Closing Date 02/08/2019
The Architecture team work to align the business and the technology function of the organisation.
As a Solution Architect, you will play an important role in the development of the technology solutions. You will be providing the mapping of the business requirements to systems/technical requirements, ensuring they are in line with the enterprise architectural plan. You will be the person who bridges specific business problems and issues and provides solutions, which are needed to support them.
The role is project facing, which will see you provide two areas of support including a business focus, ensuring the solution meets with the business requirements and an enterprise focus, ensuring that the enterprise requirements for reuse, compliance to standards, principles, traceability to enterprise reference models, and alignment with the target enterprise architecture vision.
What you will be doing
- Defining secure solution architectures and designs for our IT projects
- Carrying out technical issue and risk assessments of IT solution proposals from third parties or internal business case
- Provide technical oversight and assurance throughout the project lifecycle, from initiation through to delivery in the support teams
- Performing solution and technology impact assessments and approvals of major change controls against our IT and security operation policies and strategy
- Working with and inputting into business analysts to ensure detailed system requirement specifications (functional and non-functional) are created
- Working within project teams and with project managers to deliver projects within defined timescales and budgets
- Establishing solution technology roadmaps and ensuring adherence through solution assessments and change approval
- Complying with internal technical governance and industry standards.
- Interacting with business and project stakeholders and translating technical items into business and project ones
- Raising awareness of solution architecture across the business
- Ensure that problems are managed in accordance with agreed standards and processes and the escalation procedures are adhered to, responding to escalation, complex and high impact problems in a timely fashion
- Mentor and coach other team members when required
What you need to know
- Knowledge in IT project delivery of business critical applications and tight timescales with an understanding of structured project delivery methodologies including waterfall and agile
- A good understanding of all aspects of information technology, its design, operation and implementation (e.g. infrastructure, operating systems, applications, Internet) and a understanding of system and software security and application performance best practices
What you will need
- Experience and Knowledge within a Solution Architect role
- Excellent interpersonal skills to enable you to explain technical concepts in a more simple and logical manner and the ability to build lasting relationships across the business and collaborate with a variety of people
- To be able to plan and organise well, with clear direction and an eye for detail
- Not be afraid of change, we are very busy here with a number of projects, so to be able to adapt to change is essential
- A curious mind for solving problems and providing creative and fresh ideas for solutions
- To be able to build lasting relationships across the business and collaborate well with others
Desirable experience in the finance industry, Networks, Virtualisation, Storage, Encryption/Certificates, Operating Systems, Distributed web architectures, SOA, Security technologies and Cloud (AWS/Azure).
Life in the team
The Enterprise Architecture team consists of Solution / Data / Infrastructure and Enterprise architects. The team has a strong focus on the bigger picture, and the alignment of the Business and IT.
The key aims of the team are to -
- Drive the business forwards through innovation and change, through the best use of technology
- Embrace new ways of working for the delivery of solutions
- Understand the needs of the business, and deliver solutions that best meet those needs
- Assist and drive in strategic initiatives, by continuously maintaining a view on the future and how technology can be used to drive business strategy
- Assist in the delivery of complex project delivery, by making decisions and guiding the team
The day-to-day role of an architect varies, with the majority of work being project focused. Switching from high-level strategic concepts, to low-level project implementation details will be normal to you.
Digging into the detail to really understand the user needs vs their wants will be second nature, as well as explaining the benefits and reasons behind the decisions that you make. Your excellent communication skills will help you translate complex technical details into business understandable concepts, as will engaging with third party suppliers to drive maximum value from the solutions that they propose.
Working within a progressive and evolving IT department, you will be happy collaborating with all areas of IT, and happy to involve all the various departments.
We don’t just focus on the business outcome; here at MotoNovo Finance we recognise the importance of personal and professional development, so we offer great and frequent opportunities for learning and development. There is also our very competitive benefits package which can be explored further on our 'Working Here' page.
What the process looks like
If successful at the application stage, we will invite you to complete a call with our Head of Enterprise Architecture, Aaron Evans to discuss the role and your relevant experience. Don’t worry this is an opportunity for you to ask us questions too!
Following this, you may be invited into our Head Office for a competency based interview. If this goes well we will be asking you to join the team!
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates as we know that Diversity & Inclusion is integral to the success of the company and we are striving to build a company where everyone feels welcome and valued and where differences are embraced.
Please be aware that we reserve the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
Please be aware that you will be required to provide proof of right to work in the UK should you be successful in joining us.
We do not accept speculative agency CVs. Any CV received will be treated as a gift and not eligible for an agency fee. PSL agencies should only send CVs if authorised to do so by the Recruitment team.